The locations of the businesses of the original members of the United Wards’ Club
In addition to Joseph Newbon’s law firm, those businesses included a cheesemonger’s, a fishmonger’s, a locksmith's, a boot-maker’s, an architect’s firm, several public houses, coffee houses, refreshment rooms and dining rooms, and some businesses such as a ‘fancy bag manufacturer’s’ that have long since disappeared from the London landscape.
The locations of those 20 businesses of the original club members that were situated in the area of Blackfriars known as Doctors Commons are marked with a red dot: 11 were at the time in the ward of Farringdon Within and 9 in Castle Baynard. Joseph Newbon’s justification for a ward club to serve the whole community is thus obvious.
The Bell Tavern (site of first meeting of the club in 1877) is marked with a red star.
Wardrobe Place (where Joseph Newbon’s law firm was based) is the shaded court just south of Carter Lane.